Total Pageviews

Sections

Sunday, May 12, 2024

Oysters Growing From the Dead

    On my previous post I've talked about the Billion Oyster Project and how they plant oysters to filter NY harbor, but what I haven't talked about is why they do a trash collection service for oysters. While many restaurants throw their oyster shells in the trash, the Billion Oyster Project has found a way of repurposing dead oysters to make new ones. Now, this is kind of like a coral reef where corals grow on top of dead pieces of coral. 

First, the oysters are collected and shipped to Governors Island where they are dried and prepared for being put back in the water. Then, oyster larvae are "planted" on the oysters. Eventually, the oyster shells are put in the water in hope that an oyster reef grows on top of the dead oyster shells.








For more fun and easy to understand posts about the ocean check out my blog.

2 comments:

  1. They definetly eat a lot of oysters in New York restaurants. I love them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly screw the environment, I'm going oyster hunting!

      Delete