Total Pageviews

Sections

Thursday, March 21, 2024

Why I don't regret the kiddie pool

     Hi guys it's me again. Today I don't have homework (thank god) so I decided to share a real story of why I don't regret learning to swim. Now I could talk hours on the amount of people that drown per year but numbers just aren't human and that's why I thought sharing my story would encourage more people of all ages to learn how to swim.

A few years ago before covid I went to the Catskills in upstate New York with my mom and a friend family. What I didn't know then was that swimming would save my life. After an excruciating hike we reached an innocent looking river.

I leaned over to look at the water, and the next thing I knew was that I had just splashed into the water. The first feeling that hit me was the cold of the autumn water but it was more of a thought than a sensation. Either way it was still as cold as my stare when you tell me there are no leftovers. 

The second thing I felt was the current dragging and begging me to go down a waterfall. The waterfall was about as tall as my mom. That short? You may ask. Well, let me tell you that if I fell the wrong way I'd probably crack my skull. 

The third thing I saw was my mom running, you heard me, she ACTUALLY ran. She ran like a maniac. She was carrying a huge stick with her in hope that I'd use my swimming skills to grab on to it. The weird part though was that I never panicked but trusted my instincts to swim me to the stick and grab on to it.

As you may have guessed, I survived. The thing that traumatized me most though was that we didn't have spare pants. I had to borrow my friend's sweater and use it as my pants. In the end, it wasn't the water that would have killed me, but it was the embarrassment on the train ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment