Total Pageviews

Sections

Sunday, March 17, 2024

Lion Mane Jellyfish

    When you think of jellyfish you think of a small squishy and oddly cute piece of jelly who's sole purpose in life is to get annoying tentacles so that they won't be used as the jam I put on my breakfast toast. (But seriously, jellyfish do look pretty damn tasty) What if I told you there is a jellyfish larger than my friend's forehead? (His name starts with a G and rhymes with Gebre.) Yes I mean it, Lion Mane jellyfish are 120 ft long MONSTERS. That's 30 feet longer than Gebre's forehead!
They like the open northern waters making them official members of the Polar Bear club. Yes I'm talking about the crazy people that jump into the water at Coney Island during hot chocalate weather. 
If their stingers touch you, the pain will be "moderately painful." But here's the thing: imagine being surrounded by hundreds of "moderately painful" stingers. Ouch!















For more fun and easy to understand posts about the ocean visit my blog.



2 comments:

  1. I encountered some small jelly dishes in Sicily and France and I can tell you that even a sinks one was pretty painful😊

    ReplyDelete