Total Pageviews

Sections

Saturday, June 15, 2024

Octopus legs have minds of their own: What does it feel like?

    A few weeks ago one of my dear readers has asked me to write a post about octopus intelligence. I did some research and found something crazy. Ready? Octopus tentacles can think for themselves! I know this sounds crazy but about 60% of an octopus's brain power is in it's tentacles. I'm sure many of you are wondering what it feels like to have tentacles with their own brains, so I'll  try to explain.

When humans want to grab a stick, the brain would make the necessary body parts move in a specific way so that we can grab the stick. If an octopus were to do that, its central brain would basically tell the tentacles to grab the stick. The difference here is that unlike humans, the octopus's command is very vague, letting the tentacles grab the stick their own way. Still confused? Picture a captain telling their crew to scrub the deck. The captain's going to let the crewmembers scrub their own way, as long as they get it done. Afterall, the crewmembers have minds of their own. This is just like how the octopus brain is going to let its tentacles use their own methods to grab a stick










For more fun and easy to understand posts about the ocean check out my blog.

2 comments: